Saturday, November 5, 2011

Multi-Task Day

Today was a busy day in the brewery. I dry hopped my IPA thats been in primary for about two weeks, and brewed another batch of Jubelale. I'll start with the IPA.

I let this go for 2 weeks. Mainly because I was in Alaska last weekend, and because I was lazy during the week when I got back. I had turned off the brew belt before I went up north so the temp dropped down into the 50's. I thought this might clear it a bit more by causing the suspended yeast to drop out but obviously it didn't. The hydrometer reading showed that this finished at 1.018 which was right where Beersmith called it. I dry hopped with an ounce of Centennial and an ounce of Columbus/Tomahawk. This is a very hop forward IPA. I forgot that I had overshot my planned volume on this beer and had collected about 6 gallons before the primary ferment. I didn't realize how much beer I had actually put into the carboy until it was filled up into the neck. You can see the beer and hops half way up the neck just below the airlock. As soon as I put the airlock on it started to bubble the lock as it degassed. I'll have to keep a close eye on this thing and rack off some if it starts to expand. So far so good, and there's a nice 1/4" layer of floculated yeast already forming on the bottom of the carboy. I'll let this sit for 14 days. I'll likely be in Alaska again for work when its time to pull this so I may shorten it to 10 days.

As I was transfering the IPA to secondary, I was also getting the mash going on my second batch of Jubelale. Here's the recipe I used today:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.50 gal Seattle, WA Water 1 -
11 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 80.4 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.7 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.4 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.8 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 26.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 15.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 10.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Tettnang [5.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 12.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [4.20 oz] Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

I changed a couple things on this version. I bumped up the Roasted Barley to give it more of the roasted flavor found in the commercial version. I also increased the Cara-pils to try and give it more body. The mash went great. I hit my temps right on, and lost only about half a degree in the hour. The sparge went pretty good, although I put in about a half gallon more than Beersmith called for, and still came out about a 1/4 gallon short on my pre-boil volume. I was right on for pre-boil gravity though so I went ahead and started the boil. I hopped according to plan. Chilling took a little over 30 minutes to get down to about 70. I pulled the chiller and let the hops and break material settle for another 15 minutes or so. This dropped the temp down to about 65. I use a 1/2" stainless dip tube with a stainless dish scrubber stuffed over the end. The wort came out crystal clear although It took a little while to drain it all. The hops make a great filter to keep the break material out. As happened the first time I brewed this beer I came out about a half gallon short, and somehow about 7 points low on my final gravity. I'm still trying to dial in my equipment, but I'm consistently low after the boil on gravity and on volume. That tells me my pre-boil calculations have to be off. Next I pitched and shook the heck out of the bucket for a few minutes. By this time the Idaho Vandal game was on. It helped take my anger about the Vandals playing so horribly for the first half out on the aerating wort. I set the brew belt on, and went inside to watch the Vandals beat San Jose! Hopefully this beer turns out better than the first version.

Last thing to report today is the tapping of the first keg of Jubelale clone homebrew. This stuff turned out great, although it doesn't really taste like the commercial version. This one turned out tasting more like a Cascadian Dark Ale. It is very hoppy, and light bodied;. There is a good malt backing which I think balances out the bitterness. The East Kent Goldings and Cascade dry hops really shine through with a lot of aroma. I am excited that I have a great beer to drink, but a little disappointed that the full bodied, roasty, well hopped Jubelale I was expecting didn't come through. Hopefully the new version will fix some of those problems. Until next time, thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment