Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Sunset Pale Ale

So I'm back in the swing of things and have made up another beer. I was trying to think of a nice beer to enjoy during Spring. I was looking for a hoppy Pale Ale with a sort of twist. I though citrus would be a nice addition to the beer so I decided to us Cascade Hops for the bittering, flavor, aroma, and dry hop additions. I also decided to add orange peel zest to the boil. Here is the final recipe:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.9 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 15.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 23.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 7.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 0.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [1.70 oz] Yeast 10 -
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs



The garage / brewery smelled amazing after I added the orange peel. I racked this beer on top of a SA-05 yeast cake from a previous batch and it started fermenting heavily withing 2 hours. I have never had a fermentation start that fast, and it was exciting to see it running so quickly. I let this ferment in primary for about 10 days and then I transfered to secondary and dry hopped for another 10 days. This beer has been kegged a for a week or so now, and I'm happy to say it tastes amazing. The Cascade hops definitely bring out a new hefty citrus flavor and as I had hoped the orange peel can be detected lightly in the background and really comes through in the after taste. I have heard people say that citrus does not ferment well, but perhaps they are refering to people actually putting the peel into the primary or using it as a secondary addition. This turned out great and I'll be making this again in a week or two for Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment